Wednesday, December 16, 2009

The One Where There Is Paranormal Activity.

I'm so sorry that I have not posted any new blogs since July. This is because I have had a tonne of school work to complete and I have obtained some very pleasing results, so it was worth it. But I have not stopped watching plenty of films! :) Since I have just begun my Christmas holidays, you will be hearing a lot more from me. I will post blogs as frequently as I can :)
Okay, let's start up this bad boy again :) ...
I watched 'Paranormal Activity' (2007) last night at the cinemas.

Directed by: Oren Peli
Screenplay by: Oren Peli

I'm not usually the one to jump at the chance to see a horror film on the big screen because I scare very easily and on the big screen it seems louder & larger! But there was something about this film that made me want to check it out. So many people told me things like "Oh, paranormal activity? Good luck! It's scary as hell!". This made me anxious. It turned out to be pretty great.

The film follows a young couple (Katie and Micah) that live together.

They have been experiencing problems with the paranormal and unexplainable during their time living there; especially Katie, who has been experiencing paranormal activity since she was a child. They try everything to figure out what it is that is haunting them, e.g; they purchase a camera to film themselves while they sleep to pick up anything lurking around, they "borrow" a Ouija board and they place powder on the floor to try and pick up some kind of footsteps.

There is some humour in this film which I found refreshing. Micah seems to many as a typical asshole-boyfriend but then we see he genuinely cares for Katie and is willing to do anything for her to feel safe. The humourous scenes really calmed my nerves and I appreciated that. Despite other people saying that the writing was weak, I whole-heartedly disagree. I thought it was fitting and well written.

Many people are saying that this is a rip-off of The Blair Witch project, but I have never seen that film, so I have no opinion on that matter. Considering that the actors are all unknowns, the acting & effects are well done. Everything is completely believable and seems genuine. The acting is especially good for unknowns because I believed them and I felt so sorry for them.

First time director and writer, Oren Peli deserves kudos for making a good skin-crawling film. There are plans for a sequel and I really hope it falls through. The sequel will probably not do as well as the original because this tends to happen for most sequels that have been made. I would like to be proven wrong but I doubt it in this case.

Actors Micah Sloat and Katie Featherston, and writer/director Oren Peli :

For a film that was only made for $11, 000; it's spectacular! If I didn't know better, I would believe this film was based on true events. I won't spoil the end, but it's scary! It's shocking! Other moviegoers that saw this film had this reaction and so would you! Check it out:

I enjoyed it but there were some dull-ish scenes that seemed a little repetitive which made me really wanting to see the frightening scenes again.
I give it 3 out of 4 stars.

Check out the trailer for the film here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_UxLEqd074

Rating: R
Runtime: 86 mins. 99 min (extended version)

Taysha. x

No comments:

Post a Comment