Monday, December 28, 2009

The One With the Banger Sisters.

Three nights ago was my second time seeing The Banger Sisters (2002). I bought this on DVD prior to actually seeing it. I knew I would like it though because I am a fan of the two leading ladies (Goldie Hawn & Susan Sarandon) and thought they would make it fun. I was right, they did! I must admit, if they weren't in it, I probably wouldn't have liked it as much.

Written & Directed by: Bob Dolman

This is the story of Suzette and Lavinia; The Banger Sisters. They used to be rock groupies and best friends. 20 years later, Suzette goes to visit Lavinia to renew their friendship. Suzette is still exactly the same as she was all those years ago and Lavinia is completely prim, proper and conservative; the exact opposite of what she was 20 years ago. Can they rekindle their friendship like they never grew apart or will their new lifestyles keep them separate forever?

Suzette is played by Goldie Hawn. She is still a rock groupie at heart. She wears tight denim and leather clothes, funky sunglasses and still listens to hard rock music. I loved Hawn in this role. She is always great and just lights up the screen everytime. She definitely has a powerful presence.
Lavinia is played by Susan Sarandon. Since her and Suzette grew apart, she married and had two children. She is now a dedicated wife and mother. Now all of her clothes are beige! :) Sarandon is lovely as always and I enjoyed her in this film very much.

My favourite parts: Suzette stays for dinner in Lavinia's perfect home but is not allowed to say anything about their past to Lavinia's family because they are not aware of anything that happened in that part of her life. Lavinia then lets it all out and her family react in an odd way; they don't believe her. Lavinia then storms out, changes her look (cuts her hair & borrows Suzette's outrageous clothes) and goes clubbing with Suzette. Lavinia and Suzette then return to Lavinia's house and go straight to the basement. This is where Lavinia hides her secret stash of things from the past. This includes marijuana and the famous "Rock Cock" collection!

Also, Geoffrey Rush plays Harry Plummer; an uptight, germaphobe who is picked up by Suzette. He is planning on going to Phoenix to shoot his father. He is strange indeed but I love him. There is an argument floating around on the internet that Rush was miscast. I certainly disagree with this statement. I believe that Rush is a chameleon and pulled Harry off very well.

Although many people hate this film, they have to admit that it is entertaining. I think it is hilarious! I really enjoy it but it isn't the best comedy I've seen.
I give it 3 out of 4 stars.

Watch the trailer here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tucvQpeIqKg

Rating: R
Runtime: 98 mins.

Taysha. x

No comments:

Post a Comment