Monday, December 21, 2009

The One With the Royal Tenenbaums.

I have been meaning to see the Royal Tenenbaums (2001) for a long time now. My dad has been telling me to watch it for ages but I always had to do something else such as homework. I finally was able to watch it two nights ago and I'm really glad I did. It was brilliant!

Directed by: Wes Anderson
Written by: Wes Anderson & Owen Wilson

The first hint of its utter brilliance is the cast. Gene Hackman, Anjelica Huston, Ben Stiller, Gwyneth Paltrow, Luke Wilson, Owen Wilson, Bill Murray, Danny Golver and Alec Baldwin as the narrator. Could that cast be any more cooler?! They all do amazing jobs and I give them all kudos!

The film tells the story of the estranged Tenenbaum family who used to be a family of child prodigies. They are finally reunited when one of them declares that he has cancer.
It is a simple story, and that's what makes it golden. If there were continuous major plot shifts, it would make the film rubbish. This simple story, in my opinion, is brilliant and kept me interested the entire time.

I think all the characters are great but Margot (Paltrow), Chas (Stiller) and Richie (Luke Wilson) [all above] are my absolute favourites.
Margot is the only Tenenbaum who was adopted and her father (Hackman) actually introduced her as that all the time. She is definitely the quirkiest among the Tenenbaums with a secret past and a total secret smoking habit which her husband doesn't even know about, and also; an impeccable dress sense. Paltrow is stunning as Margot. Just great. Fashionistas have actually been inspired by her around the globe and channel her look.
Chas has been a financial expert since he was a small child and is extremely intelligent and street-smart. Stiller plays him excellently. Chas is such a worry-wart, with good reason, and it's hilarious! And that suit he and his kids wear is classic! :)
Richie is a retired professional tennis player who is in love with his adoptive sister, Margot. He is so sweet, I loved him. Wilson plays Richie so well. The audience can really feel for him. I know I did :)

This scene is so cute! This is where Royal (Hackman) wants to get to know his grandsons and let them get to know him, since he's never met them before. He shows them how to have fun, because their father; Chas, is a little over-protective, but that's why we love him :) I love the fact that they wear the same thing as their father, it's so adorable :)

Overall, this film is superbly acted with a great and interesting story. Another notable aspect of this film is the soundtrack and 'Rock the Casbah' by The Clash is my favourite on the soundtrack. I also liked the fact that it looks like the narrator is reading from a book called; The Royal Tenenbaums although it is not a book in actual reality.
I loved this film & I even may be in a rush to see it again! Extra kudos for Owen Wilson for co-writing :)

I give it 3.5 out of 4 stars. Wow, that was hard! I really want to give it 4, but I just don't want to give full marks away all the time.

Watch the trailer here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Eg6yIwP2vs

Rating: R
Runtime: 110 mins.

Taysha. x

1 comment:

  1. ngaww, the kids are so cute, matching outfits! nat would want one of those adidas jackets. awesome blogging by the way.

    ReplyDelete