Monday, December 28, 2009

The One With the Ugly Truth.

I first saw The Ugly Truth (2009) in the cinemas. I then watched it a second time about four nights ago with my mother on DVD because she is utterly obsessed with Gerard Butler. Me? I'm not so crazy about him...or the film.

Directed by: Robert Luketic
Screenplay by: Nicole Eastman & Karen McCullah Lutz

A "romantically challenged" morning television show producer hates her new, arrogant, sleazy correspondent. He is out to prove that his over the top theories on relationships are indeed the "ugly truth". But she then learns some of the things he preaches are right to a certain degree. She makes a deal with him to let him help her with her love-life and find love...and love she finds.

Katherine Heigl plays Abby Richter, the aforementioned morning television show producer. She is uptight and is waiting for Mr. Right. She even has a check-list made up in her head of the traits that Mr. Right would have. I really like Katherine Heigl so I couldn't entirely hate her in this film.
Gerard Butler plays Mike Chadway, Abby's sleazy correspondent who delivers 'the Ugly Truth' on morning television. Although Mike can be right and sometimes funny, I couldn't help but keep thinking he was ultimately just a sleazeball.

This film does have it's funny moments though. For example when Abby goes on a date with her neighbour, Colin (Eric Winter). Mike is not far away though. He arranged to Abby to wear an earpiece so Mike can give her helpful pointers while on her date. This scene is hilarious. Mike swears at a man and Abby then thinks that Mike wants her to say the exact same thing to Colin, which she does, and Colin becomes confused and thinks Abby is a total psycho!

I also liked the dialogue that follows after Mike calls Abby desperate for wanting to call Colin so soon after they met:
Abby: I am not desperate!
[pause]
Abby: Why, did you think I sounded desperate?
Mike: Listen to you. Desperately asking me if you sounded desperate?

I wont spoil the ending, but it was quite predictable. Maybe you can figure it out already, am I right?
As I said, I saw this in the cinemas. I just saw this because I was waiting for another film to start and my friend and I got there early. We saw this film to kill time, and I think that is all this film is good for; killing time.
I give it 2 out of 4 stars.

Watch the trailer here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-wMe9vxkWI

Rating: R
Runtime: 96 mins.

Taysha. x

No comments:

Post a Comment